Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ravani- Traditional Cake with Coconut and Lemon Syrup

When I was little I was studying french with a very elegant lady, Mrs Niovi. She was like a mom to me since i spent almost all my school years with her. Sometimes, I went at her place and she always treat me with exotic delicacies, mango juice, dry date cake etc. At her place , I tasted this syrupy coconut cake which I thought that it was really unique since it was the first time to taste coconut!!! Unfortunately I don't have the exact recipe , but in a very old cookbook I found it!  



for the cake:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups shredded coconut
3 medium eggs
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

for the syrup:
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon

1 cup shredded coconut for the decor

1. Mix well butter and sugar for 5 minutes and then start adding gradually the eggs to incorporate them. Add the coconut milk and the vanilla extract. 
2. Continue to mix by adding the coconut and the flour. 
3. In a preheated oven, pour the cake batter in a medium pan ( I used a large one and that is why the cake in the photo is short ;) ) and bake the cake  for 45-50 minutes (180oC). 
4. While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup. Bring to a boil all the syrup ingredients. 
5. When the cake is ready and still hot you should cover it spoon by spoon with the hot syrup. When he cake cools you can sprinkle over the rest of the coconut for extra exotic flavour. 

Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a cup of warm tea :) 
















No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails